Plastic Ban Consumer Tips
With the January 1st 2020 plastic ban just days away, local consumers should take note of the following tips:
- Come January 1, 2020 businesses will not be able to import any of the forbidden items into the country.
- Businesses will charge customers between $0.25 to $1.00 for plastic bags. This is per plastic bag, not per customer.
- The cost of the bags must appear on a customer’s receipt as a ‘check-out bag fee.’
- Even if business owners don’t give physical receipts, they still have to record their inventory of bags – this is required by law.
- The government is not expecting to collect any of the money from the proceeds of the bags except for those businesses collecting VAT.
- Businesses could ultimately face fines of up to $2,000 if they are found in contravention of the law after the transition period.
Please visit www.plasticfree242.com for more information.